- 1 pound of bacon, cut into small pieces
- 3 leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
In a large soup pot, fry bacon pieces until crispy. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel, leaving grease in pot. Add in leeks and potatoes and saute for a few minutes, until leeks are tender. Add 1 cup of the stock. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add more stock if necessary. Using a potato masher, mash up some of the potatoes until you get your desired consistency. Add remaining stock, half-and-half, salt and pepper and simmer 5 to 10 minutes longer. Serve topped with bacon pieces.