- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 15 ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water
- 1 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce package frozen corn
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortilla strips
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook garlic and chili powder until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add beans, tomatoes (with juice), broth, corn, and water; season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Let simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until flavors are well blended. Serve topped with tortilla strips.
Semi-homemade Tortilla Strips
- corn tortillas
- olive oil in a mister or cooking spray
- seasonings of your choice (I use a combination of things like chili powder, cayenne, pepper, garlic powder, salt)
Cut tortillas into strips. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Spray tops of tortillas with olive oil or cooking spray and shake on seasoning. Bake at 400 degrees for approximately 8 minutes, chips will crisp some as they cool (if using a dark baking sheet you may need to cook less).